Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Hundreds of Millions Won By Our Chicago Trucking Accident Lawyers
Commercial vehicles are among the most dangerous and deadly automobiles on our roads. From large trucks and tractor-trailers to highly specialized and hazardous-cargo carriers, vehicles used for commercial purposes are often larger, slower, and more difficult to maneuver than standard cars.
As a result, they pose considerable risks of accidents – risks commercial operators and companies have a duty to address by taking reasonable steps and safety measures. When their failures to do so result in preventable crashes, victims’ have the right to hold negligent companies accountable.
A Proven Chicago Trial Practice
Our trial lawyers at Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. have earned a reputation as one of the most trusted and successful injury practices in Chicago. Our record speaks for itself:
- Over $4 billion won for clients; $800M more than closest competitor since 2000;
- Hundreds of millions recovered in trucking / commercial vehicle cases;
- Named one of the nation’s “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News;
- A team comprised of nationally recognized trial attorneys.
Led by some of the nation’s most respected lawyers, our firm has secured numerous record-setting verdicts and settlements, as well as results which ensured justice not only for clients, but also the public. In Willis v. Transamerica Leasing, Inc., for example, our efforts led to a $100 million trucking settlement, and a federal investigation into the infamous “licenses for bribes” scandal that resulted in over 75 criminal convictions, including that of former Illinois Gov. George Ryan.
Speak with an attorney about your accident, rights, and options. Call (312) 313-0202.
Types of Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Though commercial vehicles share elevated risks for accidents, they comes in many different forms. Our firm has the experience and resources to handle a range of claims involving commercially operated vehicles, including:
- Commercial truck accidents
- Bus accidents (public, charter, school, etc.)
- Shuttle and passenger vans
- Delivery vehicles
- Utility / garbage trucks
- Taxis and limo services
- Construction vehicles
- Defective products or vehicle parts
Legal Issues in Commercial Vehicle Accident Cases
- Proving fault and liability – Personal injury lawsuits require victims to prove their claims. The burden of proof applicable in civil cases is by a “preponderance of the evidence,” which is distinct from “beyond a reasonable doubt,” as in criminal cases. Establishing the burden of proof can be a challenge which requires meticulous investigation and collaboration with experts, and exploration into any and all potential parties that may have caused a victims’ damages (i.e. commercial vehicle companies, other drivers, product manufacturers, maintenance companies, and more).
- Regulatory violations – The type of commercial vehicle involved in your accident is important, as there may be various regulations at play. In trucking cases, for example, lawyers need to know what regulations exist and how to identify violations; a challenge when a patchwork of rules govern everything from Hours of Service to cargo securement. Other industry regulations include those which apply to passenger carriers, public utilities, construction, and more.
- Insurance – Commercial vehicle operators typically carry larger commercial insurance policies. Though that’s a good thing for victims who often suffer extensive damages in these wrecks, it’s not to say there’s a guarantee for compensation. Some insurance coverage issues can complicate cases (i.e. multi-vehicle wrecks, various companies with potential liability, etc.), corporations and insurance companies overall are keen on doing all they can to dispute, deny, and underpay claims.
- Government liability – Some commercial vehicles are owned and operated by public entities. These include public buses, utilities, and road work or construction vehicles, among many others. Injury cases involving public entities or government defendants are often subject to special rules and procedures, as well as limitations on liability. These cases demand the insight of experienced attorneys.
Trust Proven Chicago Injury Lawyers: (312) 313-0202
Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. has a proven record of litigating and negotiating accident cases involving commercial vehicles – from unscrupulous trucking companies that cut corners to negligent private carriers, public transit operators, and others. We know these accidents can upend the lives of families, and create innumerable challenges physically, emotionally, and legally – and we have the tools to help.
Let proven injury lawyers fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. Call (312) 313-0202 or contact us online for a free consultation.