Thomas G. Siracusa
Thomas G. Siracusa has been with Power Rogers & Smith since 1986. An experienced litigator, he has obtained multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for clients who have suffered personal injuries or the families of wrongful death victims in cases involving medical malpractice, product liability, automobile, and trucking negligence.
Mr. Siracusa has achieved record-setting results for his clients. In 2015, he obtained a $23,000,000.00 settlement on behalf of a woman who suffered brain damage and quadriplegia as a result of medical malpractice during her labor. The result has been identified as the largest settlement ever reached in Illinois for a birth-related injury to a mother.
In another record settlement, Mr. Siracusa obtained $19,250,000.00 for a child who suffered brain damage as a result of a medication overdose. The medical malpractice settlement was then the largest ever recorded against Cook County.
In 2014, Mr. Siracusa obtained $15,000,000.00 for the family of a woman who died after being administered excessive radiation during a surgical procedure. The result is among the largest wrongful death settlements in Illinois history.
Mr. Siracusa has an active and varied product liability practice. Recently, he secured $8,000,000.00 for a worker who suffered orthopedic injuries due to the failure of elevator cables. He has obtained millions of dollars for clients in cases involving defective seatbelts, defective airbags, defective tires, unsafe medications, and defective medical devices.
In addition to his caseload, Mr. Siracusa publishes on medical malpractice and product liability for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education. A frequent author and speaker on trial practice and evidentiary issues, Mr. Siracusa also serves on the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Board of the Birth Trauma Litigation Group of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and is recognized by peers as a “Leading Lawyer” and “Super Lawyer” in the field of personal injury.
Examples of settlements or verdicts in excess of $2,000,000.00 obtained in cases handled by Mr. Siracusa include:
- Medical Malpractice: inappropriate administration of medication caused brain damage to child. Settlement: $19,250,00.00
- Medical Malpractice: failure to treat high blood pressure caused brain damage to pregnant mother. Settlement: $12,225,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: delayed delivery caused brain damage to child. Settlement: $10,500,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: failure to treat pre-term labor caused brain damage to child. Settlement: $9,500,000.00
- Product Liability/Negligence: defectively designed/worn tires caused deaths of driver and passenger. Settlement: $7,450,000.00
- Product Liability: failure to warn re: proper use of explosives and premature detonation caused injuries to worker. Settlement: $6,700,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: prenatal asphyxia caused cerebral palsy and brain damage to child. Settlement: $5,000,000.00
- Automobile Negligence: tractor-trailer struck automobile and caused injuries to passenger. Settlement: $4,750,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: perinatal hypoxia caused cerebral palsy and brain damage to child. Settlement: $4,500,000.00
- Product Liability: defectively designed tires caused injury to passenger. Settlement: $4,000,000.00
- Product Liability: defective vehicle design caused death. Settlement: $4,000,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: failure to diagnose arterial disease caused bowel injury. Settlement: $3,600,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: delayed delivery caused brain injury to child. Settlement: $3,600,00.00
- Medical Malpractice: delayed delivery caused brain injury to child. Settlement: $3,500,000.00
- Automobile Negligence: trucking collision caused injury. Settlement: $3,500,000.00
- Product Liability: defectively designed restraint system caused injury. Settlement: $3,500,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: delayed delivery caused nerve injury to child. Settlement: $2,500,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: mis-diagnosis of cardiac condition caused death. Settlement: $2,948,000.00
- Offer before trial: $0 Medical Malpractice: nursing negligence caused patient to develop bedsores. Settlement: $2,500,000.00
- Offer before trial: $0 Negligence/Product Liability: negligent driving and defective seat caused death of a child. Settlement: $2,200,000.00
- Medical Malpractice: Hypoxia during surgery caused neurologic injury to child. Settlement: $2,125,000.00
J.D., IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1986
- With Honors
- Member: Editorial Board of Chicago-Kent Law Review
- B.A. Accounting, Loyola University of Chicago, 1983
- Admitted to Illinois Bar, 1986
- Admitted to United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1986
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Managers, 2001 - Present
- Board of Advocates, 1994 - 2001
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association
- Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Leading Lawyers Magazine 2016, Top 100 Lawyers
- Recognized as Illinois Super Lawyer 2008-Present
NewsView All Blogs
Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. Attorneys Selected for 2019 Lawdragon 500 Leading LawyersRead More
All 14 Attorneys at Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. Recognized in 2019 Edition of Super Lawyers MagazineRead More
Power Rogers & Smith Partner Thomas Siracusa Secures Settlement in Wrongful Death CaseRead More