FAQs: Trucking Accidents in Illinois
Common Questions Answered by Our Chicago Injury Attorneys
Our team at Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P. is proud to offer superior representation to clients in Chicago. We are highly familiar with and experienced in the laws and procedures relating to trucking accidents throughout the state of Illinois. Below are some answers to common questions about trucking accidents, answered by one of our 18-wheeler accident attorneys. Contact us today to set up a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.
How do truck accidents happen?
Truck drivers have some of the strictest regulations of any driver on the road, and the specialized licenses, training, and knowledge of their vehicles help the vast majority of drivers responsibly operate their trucks. However, no amount of regulation can stop a reckless driver from ignoring those restrictions on their actions, making dangerous maneuvers, and more. These actions, whether they are made my choice or under pressure from the trucking company to hit a deadline can easily result in a catastrophic crash. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Ignoring weather conditions
- Driving while distracted
- Not properly maintaining their vehicle
- Overloaded trailers
- Improperly loaded trailers
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while fatigued
What should I do if I am in a truck accident?
Truck crashes seriously injure thousands of people every year in Illinois alone. If you are involved in a truck crash, the most important thing to do is to ensure your own safety. We’ve put together a simple checklist to follow to put yourself in the safest position following a truck crash:
- Check yourself for injury. Make sure you do this before taking any further steps.
- Check your passengers to see if they’re okay. Be careful not to move anyone who may be injured – let medical professionals take this action to make sure no further injuries occur.
- Call for help. Even if you believe that you made it out of the crash unscathed, the adrenaline pumping through your system could be covering something up that you need to take care of. No matter what, having a medical record of the crash can prove invaluable during your case.
- Take photos of the accident site if you can. This includes the location, the crash, close-ups of any damage, etc. These photos will help your attorney best understand the crash.
- Provide the investigating police officers with any assistance they require, and make sure to get their names and business cards so your attorney can contact them later.
- Make sure to not the incident number so you can get a copy of the accident report once it’s filed.
When should I contact an attorney?
You should contact an attorney right away. Hiring experienced legal representation as soon as possible will give them more time to conduct a thorough investigation into the events leading up to the crash and the crash itself. At Power Rogers & Smith, L.L.P., our Chicago truck accident attorneys have worked with countless people who were seriously injured in truck crashes, and we understand the best way to prepare for and execute an effective strategy that will put you in the best position possible. The sooner you bring us on to represent you, the more we can do to plan and prepare for your case.