Larry R. Rogers, Sr.Founding Partner
Mr. Rogers has excelled as a trial attorney, winning numerous multimillion dollar personal injury settlements and verdicts for his clients in many types of cases, including wrongful death, medical malpractice, motor vehicle negligence, and aviation accident cases.
His impressive record of success started early in his career. After conducting his very first trial in Cook County, Mr. Rogers won $27 million in a product liability case for his client, which in 1985 was the largest personal injury verdict in Illinois. Since then, Mr. Rogers has recovered many multimillion dollar personal injury verdicts and settlements, including recently winning $55 million for a brain-damaged woman, Illinois’ largest medical malpractice verdict in the last decade.
A leader in the personal injury field, Mr. Rogers was elected president of both the Cook County Bar Association and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, serving as the latter’s first African American president. Recognized nationally as a highly skilled personal injury litigator, he was named one of the Ten Most Influential Illinois Lawyers by American Lawyer Media, and one of the nation’s top 10 litigators by the National Law Journal.
During his distinguished career, Mr. Rogers has been honored with numerous awards, including the Distinguished Alumni Award from St. Xavier University; the DePaul University College of Law Alumni Award for Outstanding Service to the Legal Profession; and awarded Honorary Doctorate degrees from DePaul University College of Law and St. Xavier University. He is listed in Harvard Law Graduates Naifeh and Smith book, The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2001, and is a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He was selected as one of the top trial lawyers by LawDragon, a group which selects the top 500 trial lawyers in the country. He was also selected by his peers for the Leading Lawyer Network as a leading lawyer in personal injury law. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Advisory Board for Leading Lawyers Network.
The Power, Rogers & Smith firm has recovered over $2 billion dollars in verdicts and settlements. Since 2000, according to Chicago Lawyer Magazine's annual settlement survey, Power, Rogers & Smith exceeded the next closest Chicago and Illinois law firm by over $350 million and was again the top ranked law firm in 2012. Power, Rogers & Smith has had three consecutive annual first places finishes.
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1983
B.A. Philosophy, St. Xavier College, 1974
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeAdmitted to Illinois Bar, 1983
Admitted to United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1983
Admitted to United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Federal Trial Bar, 1985
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1988
Admitted to the Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1989
Admitted to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1990
Admitted to United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2007
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Chicago Bar Association
Board of Managers, 2010-2012 Nominating Committee, 2008
Cook County Bar Association
President, 1991-1992 President-Elect, 1990-1991 Second Vice President, 1989-1990 Third Vice President, 1988-1989 Board of Directors, 1985-1994 Nominating Committee, 1985, 1991 Judicial Evaluation Committee, 1986-1987
Illinois State Bar Association Ad Hoc Committee on Judiciary, 1994
American Bar Association
National Bar Association
Board of Governors, 1990-1991 (CCBA Affiliate Rep.)
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- President, 2000-2001
- President Elect, 1999
- Second Vice President, 1998
- Third Vice President, 1997
- Treasurer, 1989-1990
- Board of Managers, 1987-present
- Membership Committee, 1992
- Executive Committee, 1996-present
- Nominating Committee, 1995
- Legislative Committee - Co-Chair 1996-present
- Participated in legislative lobbying efforts to oppose Medical Malpractice
- Act of 1985 and Civil Justice Reform Act of 1995
American Association for Justice formerly The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Sustaining Member
- Public Affairs Committee - 1995-present
- Public Action Management Committee - 1995
- Committee on Courts - 1996
- Minority Caucus - 1994 - present
International Society of Barristers
International Academy of Trial Lawyers
American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member -Illinois Supreme Court Special Commission on the Administration of Justice (1991 - 1995).
- Member - United States Senate Judicial Nominations Commission for the Northern District of Illinois (1993 - 1996).
- Member - Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases (1995-2003).
- Member - Committee on Racial, Ethnic and Sexual Orientation Awareness in the Circuit Court of Cook County (1997).
- Member - Board of Directors, South Side Help Center (1994 - 2000).
- Member - Board of Trustees, St. Xavier University (2000 - 2007).
- Member - Board of Trustees, PUSH for Excellence, Inc. (1996 - 2000).
- Member - Board of Trustees, Providence-St. Mel School (1995-2000).
- Member - Board of Directors, Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago (1996-2001).
- Member - Board of Directors, Center for Disability and Elderly Law (2001 - 2004).
- Member - Board of Trustees, John Marshall Law School (2008 - present).
- Member - DePaul University, College of Law, Dean's Advisory Council (2008 - present).
- Chairman - Chairman, Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority (2009 - June 2010).
- Member - Board of Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (2010)
- Member - Board of Trustees, DePaul University, 2010- present.
- Co-Chair - Circuit Court of Cook County Black Line Trial Call Study Committee, 2011
- Member - Board of Trustees, City Colleges of Chicago, 2011- present.
- Member - Board of Directors, Cook County Justice for Children.
Honors and Awards
- Jury Verdict Reporter, Award for a Record Medical Malpractice Verdict (2010).
- Earl Burrus Dickerson Award, Chicago Bar Association, (2010).
- Honorary Doctor of Public Service - St. Xavier University (2010).
- LawDragon, selected as One of the Top Trial Lawyers (2009)
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters - DePaul University College of Law (2009).
- Distinguished Alumni Award - St. Xavier University, College of Arts and Sciences (2008).
- Outstanding Service To the Legal Profession Award, DePaul University College of Law (2003).
- Listed by Harvard Law Graduates Naifeh and Smith in their book The Best Lawyers in America (2001-present).
- American Lawyer Media, 2000. Listed as one of the Ten Most Influential Illinois Lawyers
- National Law Journal, 1999. Listed as one of the Nation's Top Ten Litigators
- Richard E. Westbrook Award in recognition of legal excellence, presented by the Cook County Bar Association (1987 and 1999).
- BLSA Distinguished Alumni Award, presented by Black Law Students Association, DePaul University, College of Law (1995).
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Monarch award, presented for excellence in the legal profession (1995).